Welcome to the Career Exploration Office!
We help students discover and explore majors and careers.
We are located in Room 216, Plemmons Student Union.
Call 262-2029 or stop by to schedule an appointment!
Monday - Thursday: 10 - 5pm or Friday: 10 - 12pm.
We can help if you are wondering:
Which major to declare? Double major or minor?
What you can do with a major in....?
THE FOUR YEAR CAREER PLAN
- WORK one-on-one with a Career Counselor in the Career Exploration Office to help you identify interests, abilities and values.
- MEET regularly with your academic advisor.
- COMPLETE a self assessment inventory in the Career Exploration Office that will provide majors and careers that fit your interests, skills, values and personality.
- SPEAK with departments across campus about academic majors, minors, and concentrations.
- DISCOVER major and career information resources at the Career Exploration Office.
- EXPLORE related career titles for AppState majors
- RESEARCH careers via O*Net Online.
- UTILIZE Career Gear to identify local part time jobs.
- CONTINUE to meet regularly with your general academic advisor if you are undeclared. If you declare a major, meet with your new departmental advisor.
- VISIT the and take additional self assessments and explore majors and careers if you are undeclared.
- JOIN a club and/or organization related to your major and interests.
- UTILIZE volunteer.appstate.edu to identify local volunteer opportunities that are related to your major and interests.
- UTILIZE careergear.appstate.edu to research internships.
- DEVELOP your collegiate resume.
- EXPLORE the internships website, internships.appstate.edu
- ATTEND the Internship Fair and Leadership and Involvement Fair in January.
- COMPLETE an informational interview and/or job shadow with 2 individuals.
- SCHEDULE an appointment with your career counselor via careergear.appstate.edu to discuss internship opportunities within your major.
- UTILIZE internships.appstate.edu for resources in finding and applying for internships
- UPDATE your resume to apply for internships.
- EXPLORE research opportunities, osr.appstate.edu
- TAKE on leadership roles within clubs and organizations.
- JOIN a regional or national professional organization in your field of study, quintcareers.com/professional_organizations.
- ATTEND workshops, events and career fairs to seek information on internships.
- ATTEND the Graduate and Professional Schools fair if applying for graduate school.
- ATTEND the Internship Fair.
- COMPLETE a practice interview through Interview Stream, an online practice interviewing software.
- KEEP a journal of your internship experience so you can easily update your resume.
- SCHEDULE an appointment with your career counselor via careergear.appstate.edu to review your resume and discuss your career plans.
- ATTEND an AppState, regional or national professional organization workshop and/or conference within your major.
- UTILIZE careergear.appstate.edu to sign up for on campus interviews and search for jobs.
- RESEARCH company and organization information for your field via Career Gear.
- UPDATE resume to include internship, volunteer, leadership, involvement, part time work and professional organizations.
- ATTEND Career Development Center information sessions, workshops and career fairs.
- MAKE a list of references/professional contacts you have made through internships, volunteering, professional organizations, or part time jobs.
- RESEARCH and conduct site visits to graduate programs.
- TAKE graduate school admissions test (if applicable).
- APPLY to graduate school (if applicable).